After diving into the crafty world of art studio/space organisation, I thought why not take a deeper dive into keeping our art supplies in order and organised. As artists, our tools and supplies come in various shapes and sizes that need to be taken care for and organised in a manner that facilitate our creative process instead of disrupting it.
Here are 7 easy things you can do to make sure that you never have to deal with a clutter of paintbrushes again.
- It is always important that regardless of how much space you have, there is a dedicated workspace allocated to just working on your art. This could be desk or a table that is always kept clean and free from any clutter.
- Take some time to take stock of what kind of supplies you have and whether you need to keep all of them. My rule of thumb is that if I have not used something for more than six months, I will either donate it to charity or throw it out.
- It is important to have things around your art space that are more functional in nature, instead of just being decorative. We would love to have ourselves surrounded with pretty knick-knacks for inspiration, however this can add to the clutter. Instead, we can invest in storage items like mason jars and shelves that are functional yet aesthetically pleasing.
- A convenient way of keeping your supplies organised and orderly is sorting items according to their function and allocating them to labelled storage containers. This prevents any supplies to get mixed up or lost in times of need.
- Walls can be incredibly helpful in arranging your art supplies, if you are short on space. Putting up shelves gives you extra surfaces to put your storage containers on or for displaying your craft or art supplies that can decorate the space.
- Like I mentioned in my previous blog, the only way to keep your art supplies always organised is to put things back in place, the moment you are finished using them. This will not only help in setting up a system of keeping things organised but also build a habit of maintaining order and structure.
- Keeping your art supplies organised is an ongoing process which changes according to your needs and the requirements of your art. Therefore, adopting a continuous improvement mindset will ensure that your system of art supplies organisation is constantly evolving and improving.
I hope by adopting these 7 easy steps, you will always be able to keep your art supplies organised and never have to waste time looking for a particular marker or paint brush ever again. So, lets put our organising hats on and get our art supplies in order!